Fast Patrol Boat Agreement

Fast Patrol Boat Agreement 24 July, 2020

Accelerating defence investments after the frictions with Russia, Ukraine continues to acquire new platforms.

The Ukrainian State Border Guard Service signed a procurement agreement with the French OCEA. In this context, Kyiv will acquire 20 fast patrol boats within the framework of the defence cooperation agreement between the two countries. The first platform will be put into service in 2021 during the process, which was formalized with a ceremony attended by Ukrainian Minister of Internal Affairs Arsen Avakov. Five boats to be delivered within the program are planned to be built in the country's Nibulon Facilities within three years. The intention agreement for Ukraine's acquisition of such platforms was signed in 2019, and was solidified last March.

15% of the cost of OCEA FPB 98 Mk I, whose total cost is specified as 136.5 million Euros, will be covered directly from the Ukrainian budget. The remaining 85% will be loan from France. The 32-meter-long boats can even be used on open seas. Platforms capable of performing tasks such as observation, illegal immigration control, anti-smuggling, search and rescue can reach 1200 nautical mile operational range at 12 knots/hour speed.

Issue 86